Sunday, October 25, 2009

Vegetable printing





When I was a little girl my mom was full of great craft ideas. One activity I remember doing with her was potato printing. We would get out all of our unusable potatoes (those that were so old they were sprouting) cut them up, dab them in some paint and stamp away. I thought it was time I did this with my girls but with a few variations. Upon looking on line I found a ton of sites with all kinds of great printing ideas. One of my favorites was using corn on the cob, rolling it through the paint and then onto the paper - genius! You can click here to see the blog were I found this idea (Make sure to scroll all the way down). Another inspiration was this blog with some wonderful potato prints.
On the day of our print making the girls and I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from school and picked out fruits and vegetables that we thought would make an interesting print. Then we headed home set up camp in the back and got to work. Here is what we came up with:


To get the different shapes we used cookie cutters on the potatoes


Corn on the Cob

This one was done with oranges


Jack -O- Lantern!!! All it took was an apple and a knife to do the carving


Happy Printing!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my photo gallery.

    Check back from time to time - I post new photos after my excursions. I'm working on a set of Sacramento photos now.

    BB2

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my kids were younger I brought home a bunch of old blueprints and carved a bunch of potatoes for them to make prints with.

    Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete