Each year I like to make a new advent calendar for my kids. This year I decided on a service based calendar made out of recycled boxes. Here is how to do it:
1. First collect food boxes, postcards, dvd covers, or anything else made out of stiff paper or cardboard that you would otherwise dispose of.
2. Use an X-acto knife to cut 25 christmas tree shapes out of the recycled cardboard
3. Turn them over and write one service your child can perform each day. Some Examples include:
Tell someone you love them
Clean your room
Compliment 3 people
Take food to the food bank
Next place sticky backed magnet pieces (you can purchase a strip of these at the craft store) on the back of each tree
4. Place a round sticker on the front of each tree. Write one number up to Christmas Day (25th) on each sticker.
5. Place all trees on your refrigerator and have the kids turn the appropriate one over each day. They are sure to end up on Santa's good list if they complete all of the tasks!!!